The sandwich is a snack that is loved by most people for its easy cooking process and deliciousness. When it comes to French Dip Sandwich we can say it is one of the most flavorful sandwiches which is also known as a beef dip.
Though the name confuses us with whether it has a french origin or other the truth is that it has an American origin. Tender chunks of roast beef, caramelized onions, and slices of melted cheese held by a crusty soft bread give rise to your warm and hearty meal named French dip sandwich.
This special sandwich can be made in both a slow cooker or an instant pot and the process for both is very easy. Here in this article, I am going to share a fine recipe for a french dip sandwich in a slow cooker.
French Dip Sandwich Recipe
You will find many french dip sandwich recipes online but not all the recipes are so easy. To make a french dip sandwich in the easiest possible way, keep your eyes on our next segments.
Preparation time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 5 hours
Yield: 4 to 6 sandwiches can be made with the recipe I am showing so you can serve 4 to 6 people.
Calories: 610 kcal
- Beef chuck roast or rump roast 2-3 pounds (trimmed of excess fat).
- 3 cups of beef broth (low sodium).
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (extra virgin).
- 2 thinly sliced yellow onions.
- 3 cloves of garlic(minced).
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce.
- Salt, pepper.
- 1 bay leaf.
- 8-12 slices of cheese.
- A large glass measuring cup.
- A large cast-iron skillet.
- A wooden spoon.
- Slow cooker.
- Cutting board.
- Mesh strainer and a large bowl.
Now let’s learn how to make a french dip sandwich in a slow cooker in the easiest possible way below.
- Add salt and pepper gently with your beef roast.
- Take the large glass measuring cup and mix the beef broth with Worcestershire sauce and keep aside.
- Then take a large cast-iron skillet and heat olive oil on medium-high flame. Add the meat into that pot and cook until all the sides are of the same brown color. Shift the cooked meat into the slow cooker from that skillet.
- Now, reduce the heat from medium-high to medium and add some oil if there is not enough remaining. Add sliced onions and cook for at least 5 minutes and then by adding the minced garlic, cook for two minutes more.
- Sprinkle some tablespoons of beef broth and sauce mixture into the cooked onion and garlic. To add more flavor scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon.
- Now, mix this onion mixture into the slow cooker with the browned meat along with the remaining beef broth mixture from the measuring cup and a bay leaf. Then cook for 3 hours in high heat or 5-6 hours in low heat until the meat becomes so tender. Bring out the meats on a cutting board and slice them thinly.
- Take the mesh strainer and separate all the juice from the onion mixture into a large bowl and discard the bay leaf.
- Again put the dry onion mixture and sliced meat in the slow cooker and pour some au jus, salt, and pepper.
- Lastly, toast the bread and fill them with meat and onions covering by cheese. Then broil your sandwiches to melt the cheese and serve the sandwiches with au jus.
Tips for making French Dip Sandwich
- Tempering the roast heavily makes it more flavorful and develops a caramelized outer portion.
- You can flip the meat halfway through cooking.
- Adding onion is a must for better taste.
- While toasting your bread be aware of not burning them.
- Add some butter before toasting the bread.
- Before slicing the meat let it cool for some time.
FAQ on the French Dip Sandwich
What goes with a French dip sandwich?
While serving french dip sandwiches, the sauce is a must but there are some other items that you can serve with a sandwich. For example, salad, fries, chips, veggies, and dip can go well with french dip sandwiches.
Does a French dip sandwich have cheese?
Yes, adding cheese makes the french deep sandwich so much delicious and special. In the above-mentioned recipe, you will know how cheese can be used in the french dip sandwich.
French dip sandwiches in a slow cooker take much time but the flavor and extreme deliciousness worth the time. There are many more recipes that take much more time and is quite hard to follow.
In this French Dip Sandwich using a slow cooker recipe, I have tried to describe each step easily so that you don’t face any problem while following. So read out the recipe attentively and follow everything carefully to make this amazing snack. Get another recipe on Quinoa Oatmeal by clicking here.