Ceaser Chavez once said the best way to bond with someone is at their house, over some good food, and nothing is more fantastic than a bowl of zesty, crunchy, oil-free chips & dips! Tortilla to be precise!
Not to dive in too dip (pun intended) into the history of tortilla chips but they have been around for quite some time. Today, tortilla chips have become a staple of snack-dash bars and game get-togethers. But if you are health-conscious and want to have the best of both worlds when it comes to eating fast food the healthy way, oil free corn chips are the way to go.
Health Benefits of Oil-Free Corn Chips?
This might be hard for some to swallow, but oil-free cooking can make most foods taste better. Oil is essentially pure fat, with most of the nutrients out of the way. That is not to say you should completely cut it out of your dietary plans.
But let’s say when it comes to freshly cut tortillas, ready to be made into chips, the oil-free cooking method is never a bad idea. Let us take a look at how oil-free corn chips can be healthy:
- Corn tortilla chips are tasty enough as they are. When we deep fry them in oil, however, we lose the actual taste of the tortilla, corn flavor itself. By baking it or simply heating it over a skillet, the chips retain most of their natural flavor.
- Anything oil-free will help with digestion. Oil-free cooking methods ensure the food retains its high fiber as a result can help a smooth transition inwards.
- It is a known fact that sweet corn comes with vitamins and minerals such as zinc, copper, magnesium, folate, etc. when fried in oil, you are losing out on the natural stuff.
- Oil-free corn chips like tortillas can be low in calories meaning low-fat content. By going for oven-baked or skillet-fried, you are ensuring less saturated fat in your food.
What Is The Best Oil Free Corn Chips?
When it comes to oil-free tortilla chip brands, there is probably an entire aisle dedicated to them. Though every country has its own respective brands, here are our choice of top, oil-free corn chips which are not only healthy but will tickle your tastebuds.
- Blue Corn Tortilla Chips are low in sodium and packed with whole grains. This brand would be the top choice for one of the best oil-free corn chips out there solely because it is tasty and healthy. Meaning a perfect bite into both worlds.
- Sunchips (Original) is another top pick for a chip packed with corn and is a healthy alternative to most retails brands out there. They are 30% lower in fat, comes with a healthy smack of whole-grain, oat flour, and everything healthy you need to find in chips.
- Famous Original Falafel Chips are perfect for the healthy-minded. They are organic, gluten-free, vegan, and most important of all, boasts an impressive flavor with a low sodium range.
Top 2 Simple Recipies for Oil-Free Corn Tortilla Chips
It doesn’t matter if you are a master chef or a cooking blunder in the kitchen, making chips out of freshly made tortillas should be a ‘must-know for everyone out there. Don’t be afraid, it is as easy as scrambling an egg. For the easy way out, simply use an oven or skillet. But for something a bit tastier and healthier, with a little bit of elbow grease, here are 2 easy oil-free corn tortilla chip recipes.
The Basic Oil-Free Crispy, Zesty Tortilla Chip Recipe
- Several corn tortillas (Depending on how many serving you are looking at)
- About ½ cup of lime juice
- Line several oven trays with baking paper.
- Preheat your oven to 180 degrees celsius.
- Use sharp kitchenware like a knife or pizza-bread cutter to cut your tortilla into 6 or more pieces (whichever shape you prefer).
- Spread the chips and ensure they are not touching each other.
- Squeeze the lime juice all over the tortilla chips.
- Sprinkle with salt to your liking and tastebuds.
- Heat in the oven for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with salsa, guacamole, or any other dip to your liking.
Tortilla Chips With Grilled Tomato Salsa
- 4-6 corn tortillas (Depending on your serving)
- 2 green chilies
- ½ small onion (red)
- Fresh lime juices
- Garlic Cloves
- 6-7 plum tomatoes
- Tabasco (optional)
- Ovenbake the corn tortilla chips at around 180 degrees. Remember to preheat the oven beforehand at around 200 degrees.
- Sprinkle the tortilla chips with salt for taste.
- For the salsa, cut the tomatoes side-up and place them on the grill (oven or outdoor) for about 10- 12 minutes until they become slightly charred.
- Peel off the skin from the tomatoes and throw them along with some garlic cloves.
- Deseed your green chilies (leave them on if you prefer a kick)
- Cut up the coriander and onion into small chunks.
- Place the coriander along with the lime juice and tabasco sauce (optional) along with the green chilies into the processor with the tomato and press process.
- Season with salt to taste
- Serve with your baked oil-free tortilla chips.
How to cook corn tortillas without oil?
The best way to cook oil-free corn tortillas is by the stovetop. Just put a stainless steel skillet on medium heat, and cook them on each side for about 30 seconds. They will be slightly brown but cooked, with a bit of crispiness to them.
Check out other recipes
Can you buy oil-free tortilla chips?
Oil-free tortilla chips can be bought in stores. There are various oil-free corn tortillas brands out there in the market today. Most of them are gluten-free and vegan. These are often plant-based with high fiber and multiple flavors. These branded oil-free tortilla chips are pre-baked, without oil, and fat-free.
What are the healthiest corn chips?
Benitos Black Bean Chips, Frontera Thin, and Crispy Tortilla Chips, Utz Organic Tortilla White Corn, Baked Tostitos Tortilla Chips & Garden of Eatin Tortilla Chips are some of the most well known healthy corn chips available in the market today. There are many brands out there as well, but for the best, healthy option, go for baked, oil-free corn tortilla chips with natural ingredients.
Can you cook corn tortillas without oil?
Corn tortilla chips can be cooked without oil. Though they won’t have the same level of crispness, baking oil-free tortilla chips are often the best way to cook. Just squeeze a bit of fresh lime and sprinkle with a pinch of salt.
What can you eat instead of tortilla chips?
The best substitute for tortilla chips is without a doubt a simple, easy-to-find vegetable; the potato. Instead of using tortilla chips for your nachos base, you can use potato chips. You can bake or grill sweet potatoes to turn them into chips.
So, next time a game is coming up, or you are about to tailgate with the neighbors, cash in your dip with a zesty, crunchy, lime-flavored dose of oil-free corn chips. Heck, you can even make oil-free tortilla chips in air fryer. One thing is for certain, doesn’t matter if you bake them or buy them, tortilla chips have nestled into our hearts as the ultimate source of soul snacks.